Tuesday 21 June 2011

Ho Chi Minh - street view


The first impression I had of the streets of Ho Chi Minh was the mopeds! After that, one thing after another, including hawkers and night markets and plastic chairs kept reminding me of Taipei, perhaps in different periods of economic development. Binh Thay Market was flooded with people and everyday goods from backpacks to fresh food to be sold. When not busy, some moms helped their kids with homework while sitting on red, plastic stools next to towers of shrimp chips, and some young people tended to each others' acne problems...








One fruit I saw for the first time was what the locals call "bom bom." It looked small, round potatoes, but strung up like grapes. The skin is thick and soft, the meat tastes like pomelo, the texture like lychee, but the seed is tiny enough to accidentally swallow. It was good!









We did't get much time to explore the city, including its historical, multi-cultured sites, but I hope to next time!

3 comments:

Lin said...

In Thailand at the moment where they also have the 'bom bom'. I still don't know what they are, but eat them all the time. Personally, I love the 'rambutan' which you also have pictured. I'm not sure what they're called in Vietnam. Both the 'bom bom' and 'rambutan' are new fruits for me.

Unknown said...

I like rambutan, too. How's Thailand? I've never been.

Lin said...

Thailand rocks! People are super friendly. I've been in Bangkok, which is huge, almost a month. I've managed to get out of the city a few times when not working. Definitely a place worth visiting. I know I'll be coming back to see more of the country.